4th of July Past, Present and Future

Happy 4th of July!  As I was cutting up jalapenos for pickling with red onions (I'll post about this some other time, but here's a little preview: yummy) I was reminded of a past 4th of July. 

The year was 2000, I was living in a tiny attic apartment of a house in downtown Colorado Springs.  I was in the kitchen making a batch of my World Famous Salsa (well, maybe it's not world famous but my dad sure likes it) when I cut into one of the jalapenos juice squirted directly into my left eye.  Directly.  Spicy flaming juice in my eyeball.

Now let me tell you, I've felt a lot of different types of pain in my life but the pain of spicy juice in the eye is very unique one.  It starts like firey needles poking the same spot over and over.  Then, the tears start which helps the juice spread around making it feel like someone's mashing a hot coal into your eyeball.  By now your sinuses have filled with spicy snot.  As the juice finally works it's way around to the back of the eye socket it feels like someone dunked your head in spicy molten lava.  It's an awful experience not to be repeated twice.  For years after that incident I was so scared of it happening again I'd always cut jalapenos wearing sun glasses.

What a fun little memory.

Now on to 4th of July present.  As luck would have it the parade route is just a few blocks from our house.  We walked down early to stake out a spot in front of the old folks home.  Unfortunately, there was no shade so we sweat like crazy, the kids got cranky and I was ready to pull the plug and go home before the parade even started.  But since Jed and I are gluttons for punishment we held out for the parade.

Waiting for the parade to start

Parker, always happy to have his picture taken


The parade was a nice opportunity to see more of our community.  There was a polka band on a float, local members of the government, the school district, local auto repair, etc.  I even managed to get the number of a plumber that we can call for our future flood needs.  The kids were happy that there was lots of candy to gather.  The local fire department misted the crowd while driving down the street which was pretty cool.  Unfortunately we had the wind at our backs so the spectators on the other side of the street received all the cooling mist.

Spray from the fire trucks in the background

Then a local optometrist office handed out flags to all the kids.  Not really but who gives a street full of kids sticks to run with while collecting candy?





While at the parade we saw Jed's future.  We were sitting on the corner in front of the old folks home, the nurses had wheeled a bunch of people out to watch the parade.

Nurse:  (Wheeling a patient back towards the building)  I told you Mr. Future Old Jed Shaw, that it was going to be hot out here and that you were going to be sitting in the sun.  Why'd you go and put on all those clothes?
Old Jed:  (Wearing pants, long sleeve shirt, vest and hat) Well, I don't know what the hell's going on!!

True that Old Jed.  True that.

There are about 20 different local firework shows so we'll be getting our fireworks fill later tonight.  Happy 4th of July everyone!

Comments