Drift Wood

When we go to the beach I take beach towels, sunscreen, water bottles and a baggie for lake glass.  That's it.  I take nothing else because I've learned that whatever I bring won't get used or it will get fought over.

I had to laugh my butt off the other day when I saw a mother of 1 child drag an entire storage bin of the following down to the waters edge: beach chair, umbrella (or un-rella if you ask Hayd), 2 different blow up floats she took forever blowing up, bucket, shovel, beach ball and a bunch of other stuff that the kid never touched.  He did not use a single thing she brought to the beach.  I hope for that lady's sake she learns that kids don't need a lot of things at the beach to have fun.

I've tried to bring things for the kids to the beach, for example, these really cool buckets Grandma Shaw gave Hayd and Ham just before we left Michigan.

Buckets and "drift wood"

I highly recommend these for any kid. They collapse down almost flat and they are VERY durable.  We brought these buckets and shovels to the beach many times and even though the kids have nearly the same bucket and shovel they fought over the buckets and shovels every time so I banned the buckets* and shovels.  Funny side note, Hamilton learned the hard way that if you are carrying a collapsible bucket full of water and trip and fall on the bucket it does not end well for your face.  But your Mom and Dad will think it's really funny.

Since I'm the mean Mom that has banned any sort of toy at the beach the kids have resorted to playing with the "drift wood" they find.  A while back the kids discovered drift wood which most of us know to be little pieces of wood that has been rounded and smoothed by the rocks, waves and sand.  But kids being kids now think that ANY piece of wood found at the beach is drift wood.

Ham and Park playing with "drift wood"

Hamilton claims any major log he finds as his own "drift wood" and insists that Park or Pax helps him put it back in the water.  And then get it out of the water.  And then put it back in the water.  You get where this is going.  Super fun game.

Hamilton sitting on a "drift wood" log with another drift wood stick in hand

Hayd sitting on the same log with Ham in the background pissed about her sitting on his "drift wood"  
She is obviously having a hard time containing her happiness about pissing off her brother

Ham always wants to bring his various finds home and the only way I get him to leave it on the beach is so that we can "find it tomorrow."  Since he finds so many sticks he hasn't caught on that it's not the same stick.  I did let Parker bring a piece of drift wood home yesterday.  I'm going to use it to replace our house number sign.  Our current one is awful.  Now I just need to find numbers for it...yet another project on my to-do list.

*Don't worry, Sue, they use the buckets for other things.  Load it full of chalk, hot wheels, etc.  We'll try to take them to the beach again eventually.  Hamilton also INSISTS that I fill the bucket to the top with water over and over and over and over because "he can't".  While he is standing in the water right next to me.  And if the bucket isn't full exactly to the top he dumps the water out to make me fill it again.  Another super fun game of his.

Comments