Crash

A week ago today I had just picked up The Boys from school, we were sitting at a red light chatting about their day when, BOOM!  My head snapped hitting my seat.  Instantly I knew what happened*.  We were just rear-ended.

The Boys:  MOM!  What was that!?!  What happened?!
Me:  Is everyone ok?  Are you kids ok?

All 4 kids were fine because they were all strapped in their car seat/boosters properly.  The Littles had no idea what was going on.  The old man in the car that rear-ended us also had no idea what was going on.  From my interaction with him I could tell he clearly should not have been driving.  He didn't even exit the car because he was not physically able.

Police arrived very quickly despite having 3 other active calls going on in our tiny town.  Their guess was that the old man was having some sort of medical problem either physical or medication related so they gave him a free ride to the hospital.

Lucky for us our vehicle only received a couple scratches on the bumper.  Both police and fire told me my hitch absorbed the entire impact.  The old man's car was very crunched.

Fire arriving on scene

A very nice fire fighter kept the kids busy with questions.  He also pointed out that now they could say they've survived a crash.

"Crash survivors"

I must admit, after I found out everyone was ok my very next thought was, "DAMNIT!!  We were just getting ready to turn this car in!"  We had been considering getting a van for the 2nd row captains chairs and more storage space.  I feel like the crash was the universes way of telling us to get another SUV.  So we did.


Our new old car

We found a 2001 Chevy Suburban with only 38,000 original miles on it for a steal of a deal.  This thing is in excellent condition.  The Boys even commented on how great the carpet looks.  This vehicle is just like Jed's Tahoe but it has the 2nd row captains seats, about 3 ft of rear storage/crash buffer space and a hitch just in case.  In the past 4 months Jed and I have both been in rear-end related accidents because people out here drive like assholes...maybe it has something to do with people drinking Wisconsinbly.


*When I was 16 years old I was sitting at a red light when, BOOM, rear-ended AND hit from the side.  An old lady was going so fast she not only hit the car behind me she also hit my car in the side.  Now, having been through it twice, there is no mistaking the feeling of being rear-ended.

Comments